In 1952, these ‚T-chairs‘ won the American Institute of Decorators award for the best furniture design in the United States. They were a cornerstone of the acclaimed Laverne International „New Furniture“ collection. And as futuristic as the Fifties could be, these chairs not only are really good, ingenious design, but also early ambassadors of the upcoming space age design.
Designers William Katavolos, Ross Littell & Douglas Kelley were all graduates of the Pratt Institute in New York. During their six year partnership from 1949-’55, they designed furniture, textiles and dinnerware for Laverne Originals; an influential and famous New York interior design company, founded in 1938 by Erwine and Estelle Laverne.
Originally executed with saddle leather, this version has a semi transparent PVC upholstery. Interestingly this improves the design – as it makes the construction principle fully visible. This rare plastic version is also part of the collection of the Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum, New York; the leather versions are to be found in the collections of the MoMA New York, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Art Institute of Chicago and the Louvre.
A black „T“-shaped frame connects three also „T“-shaped legs, topped by the sling-shaped seating. Two available.
Materials: Chrome plated and black enamelled steel, transparent / ochre PVC
Dimensions: 81 (H) x 59 W) x 59 (D) cm; seating height: 43 cm
Condition: used with patina, but in a good overall condition